Thursday, February 17, 2011

El Celler de Can Roca - Girona



www.cellercanroca.com

I was looking forward to our lunch at El Celler de Can Roca as I have some well traveled good friends who rated it as their best ever restaurant meal.  Coming to a restaurant with such high expectations is usually a mistake as they tend to cloud you perceptions of the experience.  I find myself frequently disappointed at an otherwise great experience because I was expecting too much.


However nothing could have prepared me for the sheer brilliance of this restaurant.  Everything from the decor to the table settings was the result of careful thought.  Several of the dishes left me speechless.


El Celler de Can Roca is the work of three brothers: head chef Joan Roca, maitre d’ and head sommelier Josep and pastry chef Jordi.  It is a masterwork and should not be missed if you have the chance to visit.


Girona is a town about 90mins north of Barcelona by train.  Whilst there make time to visit the stunning Cathedral.


Stuffed olives hanging from a miniature olive tree.

Tapas: Chicken mouse biscuit, anchovy bone, rice tempura

Broth with steamed dumpling, truffle.

Calamari, batter - deconstructed.

Pidgeon mousse

Oysters, cava sauce.

Foie gras and cepe soup, orange oil.

Grilled fish, various sauces

Bacalao

Suckling Iberian pork loin - This was incredible, with a very thin, crunchy skin and very soft flesh.

Lemon flavours, milk.

My favourite desert of all time.  Intense vanilla ice cream, caramel, olive, cocoa.

Chocolates to finnish.